Cancel search
THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN OFFICIALY SOLVED

Latex 300 Ink Limit

#1 TG-Frank 9 years ago

Can anybody tell me details about the ink limit value when doing internal calibration?

Can't be the single channel ink limit, because with some print modes they can be set to 200%.

Can't be the total ink limit because in a lot of print modes a max. of 100% or 120% can be chosen.

What does the percent-value represent?

Solved! Go to Solution.

#2 HP-MarcM 9 years ago

TG-Frank,

The percent-value of ink shows (for primary colors and total ink) the relative difference of selected ink limit compared to the production mode of a vinyl used as a reference.

When doing internal calibration, once the ink limit is selected, the printer will print the calibration patterns using that ink limit and will adjust the linearization curves to optimize color transitions.

Was this helpful?Yes0 No0
How can we improve it?
#3 TG-Frank 9 years ago

Hi Marc

Thank you for your reply. I know what ink limit means. Irritating when calibrating a Latex 300 is the value.

For one primary channel, the ink limit should be at maximum 100%. And it should have at minimum 4 possibilities for data entries (for every process color).

Because of there is only one data entry, it will be the value for the total ink limit. But as a total ink limit, the maximum selectable ink limit is very low, with depending on the print mode at maximum 200% for backlit Media at 20 Passes, regularly 100 - 130% for production print modes on vinyl or paper.

That is what confusing me. Because of that I ask what does the percentage represents.

How can we improve it?
#4 HP-MarcM 9 years ago

Hi again TG-Frank,

If you are looking to change the maximum percentage of ink per channel, you would not be able to do it from the printer, you will have to do it from the RIP.

This is because the printer was intended to help as much as possible the new HP Latex users, which probably have less or even none experience with color calibration. For this reason the printer, although the limitations, is able to create profiles in an easy and fast way, which are good enough quality to print.

If you are a color management expert, as i think is your case, and you want to have a higher color saturation, you will have to select it with the RIP.

Hope this helps.

How can we improve it?
#5 TG-Frank 9 years ago

OK, I understand and accept. I agree with the idea to make color management easy for people not experienced with profiling, and I now that most of the users will benefit from that system.

For me, I sometimes miss things to set.

Thanks again.

How can we improve it?
#6 dyp 9 years ago

What RIP actually allow a higher ink limit than what is allowed on the printer. I have tried three different RIPs and none will allow a high ink density.

Take the Paper setting for example, Regular Coated Paper allows up to 120% for the highest you can go, even with 20 passes. Backlit Paper allows from 130% to 260% but only for 12 to 20 pass. So are you saying that with a particular RIP (which one?) I could be able to get 130% or 150% at 10 pass.

Yes I know I could choose the Backlit setting to get higher ink density, but do you realize that the vacuum is not as strong at the same settings as in the Regular Coated Paper Setting. I found this out the hard way. I was trying to get 150% Ink Density on a ridged poster paper but I would not hold it to the platen even when like ink coverage was applied. It was very obvious that a vacuum setting of 100 with backlit was not that same as a setting of 100 with Coated Paper. You could hear the difference and I had no problem holding the paper to the platen with the Regular Coated Paper Setting.

For PVC Banner this is even more of a problem. 8 or 6 Pass only allows 100% Ink Density which if you want colors to pop is not going to happen. Really, I can set the temp to 240 degrees F but I can only use 100% Ink Density with 6 or 8 pass. Who thought this up?

Again what RIP will allow you to raise the Ink Density beyond what the printer will allow?

How can we improve it?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP.

New comments are not available at this time

Latest conversations HP Latex

HP Latex Blog

How likely are you to recommend HP Large Format Knowledge Center to a colleague?
  • Not at all likely
  • Extremely likely
Thanks for your collaboration
To provide additional details, click here.