Cancel search

Panel lenth difference HP latex 360

HP Latex 300 Series

#1 --- 8 years ago

Customer has the material Self adhesive textile and wants to produce panels. At this moment he gets panel length difference 0,5 cm per panel. Can anyone tell me what is the tolerance of printing panels?

Kind regards,

Rob Jansen

#2 HP-MarcM 8 years ago

Hi RobJansen,

I've looked in the user guide and this is what I've found in the page 83:

During the printing process, some substrates may shrink, while others may expand. If this happens, the
dimensions of the print will not be correct.
As a general rule, you can expect the following percentages of shrinkage:

● Banner: less than 2%
● Self-adhesive vinyl: less than 0.5%
● Backlit: less than 0.5%
● Paper: less than 0.5%
● PP & PE synthetics: less than 1%

The framing problem may be solved by printing a sample and adjusting the size of the image in the RIP. You
may reuse this value for all your future prints with the same substrate, although special care must be taken
when using banners, as the shrinkage may vary up to 1% depending on the amount of ink used in the print.
You can expect the following variations from one print to another:

● Banner: less than 0.3%
● Self-adhesive vinyl: less than 0.1%
● Backlit: less than 0.05%
● Paper: less than 0.1%
● PP & PE synthetics: less than 0.4%

To solve the tiling problem and improve the repeatability of the printed size (with the 360 printer only), you
are recommended to ensure that the substrate-advance sensor is enabled in the RIP's substrate preset, as
this will improve the stability of the prints over time. You are also recommended to tile together areas with
similar amounts of ink. If this is not possible, print the areas with different amounts of ink as different jobs
and modify the length of the job with less ink in the RIP to match its size with the job with high ink content.
Some RIPs may provide a scaling option that allows you to compensate easily for substrate shrinkage or
expansion; see your RIP documentation.

I hope this information will be useful.

Was this helpful?Yes0 No0
How can we improve it?
#3 HP-MarcM 8 years ago

Hi RobJansen,

Did the information help you? Does your customer have any other question?

How can we improve it?
#4 --- 7 years ago

What about if the lenght size shifts in every other panel. We're experience leght size shifting in about 0.25'' per panel and is not consistent. I have never seen this issue even in older versions of latex printers such as the 25500 series.

How can we improve it?
#5 HP-MarcM 7 years ago

Hi Jaime_Batres,

We've uploaded a document on how to print tiles with the hp Latex 300:

Wallcovering Printing tips and tricks

It has a chapter about "Printer calibrations and settings" that might be helpful. Can have a look and tell me if it helps you?

How can we improve it?
#6 --- 6 years ago

I've read this and have done everything but I still get length inconsistencies. When printing a multiple panel mural I have differences between each panel. For example, the first panel could be an inch off and the second and third could be 3/8th" off.

I've talked to 3 different HP reps and they all say the same thing. "Check Long Runs" "Clean your OMAS" "Lower the pass or heat." But nothing works and it's completely inconsistence. Any other ideas? Keep in mind it's happening to textile materials such as 'HP PVC FREE - suede' and 'Vescom - Sand'

I'm thinking the Latex 360 my company bought is a lemon.

How can we improve it?
#7 HP-Sonia 6 years ago

Hello @KristTorres

I am sorry to hear that you haven´t been able to find a workaround. As a suggestion, you can have a look at the User Guide (page 83) on the chapter "how to apply RIP compensation". Please bear in mind that the parameter will change are tottaly customized. because each printer and tile/job is different.

How can we improve it?
#8 TGAPCLT 6 years ago

Question, what RIP are you running? For the sake of this issue, I will assume it's Onyx and you will need go in this order:

1. Watch the following 2 part HP video titled Panel Printing and Counterweight Assembly (links below). Once you have followed these instructions and your media is loaded and attached the TUR as instructed, you will need -
  2. To run Scale Adjustment through Media Manager then save as a Quick Set for that substrate. Within Scale Adjustment you will be asked to print a 36" horizontal line and a 36" vertical line - send and print each one separately. Once printed, you will need to measure each and input that measurement. In order to get a correct measurement, you will need to cut them out the media, labeling one as Horizontal and one as Vertical, and then measure - DO NOT try and measure these two lines while they are still on the printer. Your measurements will either be slightly over or under 36". Regardless, Insert those values in each box. The RIP will establish a compenstion value that once saved will make the adjustment when you you open your file in Job Editor.

I worked with my customer 2 weeks ago on this very same issue - panels were over by x and under by x - and once we completed all the steps, every panel nailed the width and was consistently the same length - .25" under actual. Caution - if your expecting NASA specs, then you will be disapointed. No single wall is the same wheter it be opposing walls or one wall from left to right.

If you're running something other than Onyx, contact your RIP support and they'll point you in the right direction.

Also, before you begin printing, make sure you select LRCM within the media setting at the printer.

Your 360 is not a lemon.

How can we improve it?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP.

Remember
To make recommendations or participate please Sign In and post a message.

Latest conversations HP Latex

HP Latex Blog

How likely are you to recommend HP Large Format Knowledge Center to a colleague?
  • Not at all likely
  • Extremely likely
Thanks for your collaboration
To provide additional details, click here.